M.A. in Critical Museum Studies
ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS FOR THE M.A. IN CRITICAL MUSEUM STUDIES:
February 15 is the application deadline. Applications received after February 15 will be considered on a rolling basis, thus to maximize your chances for admission submit your application before February 15.
ADMISSION QUALIFICATIONS: A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution with a GPA (or equivalent) of 3.2 or above unless a compelling explanation justifies a lower GPA. GRADUATE RECORD EXAMINATION (GRE) scores are required.
Materials You Will Need In Order To Complete The Application:
- A RESUME or CV
- A STATEMENT OF INTENT that describes your preparation (academic and related work/life experience) and motivation for graduate study in Critical Museum Studies. Describe areas of focus that you are interested in pursuing, career objectives, and any other information that may be helpful to admissions committee
- A WRITING SAMPLE – this is a well-written paper from an undergraduate course and a critical component of the application
- COPIES OF TRANSCRIPTS (Official transcripts will be required upon acceptance to the program.)
- THREE LETTERS OF REFERENCE preferably from former professors or museum professionals, should attest to your ability, level of maturity, and readiness for graduate level Critical Museum Studies.
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS: The entire application process is on-line at gradmit.buffalo.edu. Please select “Art History (MA)” from the pull-down menu under “Select Degree Program.” Although the form will note this is an application for an MA in Art History, it is in fact the application for Critical Museum Studies, and your MA will be in Critical Museum Studies and not in Art History. (As a new program, we must go through levels of official approval to launch a new application form, so we have repurposed this old one, already approved.)
You should not have to send in any hard copies. TO COMPLETE THE ONLINE APPLICATION: Be sure to attach (upload) the following documents:
- Statement of Intent
- Writing Sample
- Scans of Transcripts from all undergraduate institutions.
When you have finished your online application you must “submit it for final review” and pay the application fee ($75) before the application will be available to our faculty for review. (5) A minimum of THREE LETTERS OF REFERENCE are required, preferably from former professors or museum professionals attesting to your capacity for graduate level research. When you submit your references’ email addresses they will receive an automatic electronic solicitation. It is crucial that you provide a viable email address for each referee. You may wish to notify them in advance so that they can have their letter ready to upload. Please note that your recommenders will only receive this solicitation after you have submitted your application for final review. As such, we recommend that you plan to finalize your application prior to the deadline.
IMPORTANT NOTE TO INTERNATIONAL APPLICANTS: To be reviewed for admission you must fill out the online application for international students, provide all of the supplemental materials listed above, and upload the additional documentation to your application before the application deadline. YOU WILL NEED TO SUBMIT THE FOLLOWING: (1) COMPLETE FINANCIAL FORM WITH SUPPORTING BANK DOCUMENTS (follow the instructions on the International Graduate Admissions website – http://wings.buffalo.edu/intadmit/forms.html (2) officially verified TOEFL score from ETS; (3) ENGLISH TRANSLATION OF TRANSCRIPT and (4) PROOF OF DEGREE (5) copy of passport
Please contact our department for more information about the program.