January 10, 2014 by: Admin
Edited January 25, 2016
In November 2013 we announced that Art will not be upgrading from Adobe CS6 to Creative Cloud, and we recommend that students DO NOT buy into the CC subscription model. We will continue to use CS6 as we research suitable alternatives.
We will use this post to compile our research into Mac-based Adobe alternatives. We do not necessarily endorse these products at this point. We will announce our recommendations in the future.
Feel free to leave comments and suggestions.
- Affinity Photo (currently free in Beta)
- GIMP (free, open source)
- Pixelmator (OS X)
- Canva (Free, web-based)
- Affinity Designer – Newly written for Mac, takes full advantage of core OS X services.
- Final Cut Pro
- Sublime Text (free evaluation, then $70)
- Espresso/CSSEdit 3 ($75)
- Axure, Interactive HTML Prototypes
- Coda 2 ($75)
- MacFlux ($130)
- Tumult Hype
Discussions and Alternatives from other sites
- “Breaking up with the Creative Cloud – Part 1” Chris Coleman
- Appstorm “The Best Alternative Apps to Everything in Adobe Creative Cloud“
- cgsociety.org forum post